One of the hidden gems from this year’s Consumer Electronic was the RØDE iXY stereo microphone for iPhone and iPad. Deceivingly small (the approximate size of a USB key), this cutting dynamic device is designed to provide a simple but flexible environment for recording audio for voice and instrument. Whether it’s narration or a simple tune, it can suit your requirements.
At the heart of the iXY is a matched pair of ½” cardioid condenser capsules, fixed in a perfect 90 degree ‘near-coincident’ alignment resulting in immersive and true-to-life stereo recordings, captured in incredibly high detail. The iXY uses its own high-fidelity analogue to digital conversion ensuring all recordings are rich, smooth and accurate
The RØDE Rec application is available for purchase from the App Store on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The app provides a full suite of features including multiple sampling rates up to 96kHz, equalization effects (compressor/expander, high-pass filter, low pass filter, parametric EQ), non-linear editing, geo and photo tagging, and one-touch publishing to SoundCloud, Dropbox, email, FTP and iTunes.
Compatible with iPhone® 4S, iPhone® 4, iPad® (3rd generation), iPad® 2, iPad® & iPod touch® (4th generation).
- Recording Quality High quality recording at sampling rates up to 24-bit/96kHz
- Acoustic Principle Pressure Gradient
- Capsule 0.50″
- Frequency Range 20Hz – 20kHz
- Maximum SPL 120dB SPL (@ 1kHz, 1% THD into 1K? load)
- Sensitivity -42.0dB re 1 Volt/Pascal (8.52mV @ 94 dB SPL) +/- 2 dB @ 1kHz
- Equivalent Noise Level (A-weighted) 18dB-A
- Power Options Powered by iOS device
- Weight 40.00gm
- Dimensions 46.00mmH x 55.00mmW x 40.00mmD
- Connector 30 pin
References: the Rode IXY Stero